Technology is amazing. It helps us optimize our time, be more efficient, and connect with each other faster than ever before. It improves our lives. And, while technology has changed the world for the better in countless ways, too much exposure may have an effect on your eyes. Since we are spending more time than ever before in front of a screen, whether it be a television, a computer, or smart phone, looking at a screen for too long can cause a strain on your eyes and may result in the need for eye care.
When looking at a screen, our eyes are focused, and we blink significantly less. This can lead to a strain on your eyes in more ways than one. Burning, stinging eyes, dry or watery eyes, blurred or double vision, increased sensitivity, difficulty changing focus, red eyes, headaches and fatigue are all signs your eyes need a break. Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS) is the most common cause for all of these symptoms.
To lower the chances of these symptoms occurring, East West Eye Institute and other eye care specialists recommend the following eye care tips to reduce the strain on your eyes.
1. Cleaning your screen more often will keep dirt, dust, and smudges from distorting the image quality.
2. Enlarging your font will prevent you from squinting.
3. Sitting at a proper distance from the screen. Not too close, yet not so far that you have to squint.
4. Dim any competing light that makes it harder to see the screen.
5. Switching to a higher resolution screen. The more pixilated the screen the more distortion, which can also strain your eyes.
6. The 20-20-20 Rule: Every 20 minutes that you’re working or focused on a screen, look away for 20 seconds at something that is 20 feet away.
If you have any other eye care questions or concerns, contact any one of the four East West Eye Institute locations.
420 E. Third St.
Los Angeles, CA 90013
(213) 680-1551 office
(213) 680-2148 fax
23441 Madison St.
Building 8, Suite 120
Torrance, CA 90505
(310) 373-6708 office
(310) 378-6395 fax
WEST LA OFFICE
1950 Sawtelle Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90025
(310) 453-0489 office
(310) 453-0886 fax
1045 W. Redondo Beach Blvd.
Gardena, CA 90247
(310) 329-9975 office
(310) 329-4759 fax